This is one of those things that you eat and you instantly feel wonderful. It is a food that puts you in the fall spirit. It’s like a warm sweater on a chilly night….if you’ve never had a homemade pumpkin roll before, you are missing out. I remember the 1st time I had it, a coworker brought it during a team meeting. I’ve been hooked ever since. Not only are they delicious, but they look amazing. They really require no effort at all, but look like you worked really hard. This has become a Fall staple in my house.
The recipe that I was given was the generic one off the back of the Libby pumpkin puree can. But I couldn’t leave well enough alone. The recipe off the back of the Libby can is perfecto- I’ve just added a little to it with changing some spices around and topping it off with a caramel drizzle. That caramel drizzleeee!!!!! (If you love caramel, try this apple pie recipe. It is the. best!!!)
Anyways- I hope I’ve talked you in to trying this pumpkin roll recipe!
Give it a try….I’m sure it will become a fav of yours, too!
- 1/4 cup powder sugar to sprinkle on towel/parchment paper
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 8oz (1 package) softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
- 2. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan & line it with parchment paper.
- 3. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.
- 4. Mix together the dry ingredients (minus sugar) in small bowl.
- 5. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture.
- 6. Spread evenly into prepared pan and bake for about 15 minutes (until top of cake springs back when touched).
- 7. Loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with the short end. Cool on wire rack while rolled up.
- 1. Mix all the ingredients in small mixer bowl until smooth.
- 2. Carefully unroll cake.
- 3.Spread cream cheese mixture over cake.
- 4.Reroll cake & wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least one hour.
- 1. Place brown sugar and butter into a sauce pan. Heat over medium/high heat and stir constantly until mixture is at a rolling boil.
- 2. Pour in the can of condensed milk and continue to stir for about 2 more minutes.
- 3. Once done, drizzle the caramel sauce over the chilled pumpkin roll right before serving. (Left over sauce can be placed in a jar/bowl and stored in the refrigerator for a few days.)
- Please note, caramel drizzle is optional. The pumpkin roll is delicious without it.