Our house is fairly small. And with two indoor dogs (large dogs…) and a baby, it feels even smaller. Wesley and I had to get creative with storage and organization. Here are some of our favorite friends & solutions when it comes get getting the most storage out of a small home. *There are affiliated links in this post.*
In the Bedroom:
1. Under the Bed Storage: These containers are PERFECT for storing anything under the bed. In our room, I use them to store our “out of season” clothes. This helps to create more space in our closet. I also have one in William’s room under his crib for the clothes that he has outgrown. These containers come in 2 different sizes and have wheels! YES! It makes it so easy to pull out a heavy container filled to the brim. They could maybe even fit under sofas, if the legs are up high enough.
2. Command Hooks: These guys truly are used all throughout our house. But we use them in our closet for hanging up random things…bags, hats, belts, jewelry, whatever will fit on the hook, really. They may not be the prettiest option out there, but they’re cheap, easy, and get the job done!
3. Shoe Organizer: Again- this may not be the prettiest thing, but it helps the closet floor to look a lot less cluttered by getting my shoes off the ground.
4. Extra Closet Shelving: Wesley added in as much shelving as he possibly could, everywhere he possibly could in our closet. The extra storage space has helped sooo much!
5. Door organizer: In William’s room (nursery) shoes weren’t an issue, however we had a lot of little random things that we needed to organize. We used this door organizer to store all those odds and ins needed for a baby. It is truly one of my favorite things that I have gotten for organizational purposes. Wesley just attached it to the inside of his closet door.
In the Kitchen & Bathroom Cabinets:
Hanging Magazine Stands: I couldn’t find the exact one that we bought, but this one is fairly similar. Wesley took a magazine basket and attached it to the backs of our kitchen and bathroom cabinets. This gives us a lot of extra storage. Though the baskets are fairly narrow (bigger things can’t go in there), you can still get the random little stuff up off the cabinet bottom, leaving space for the bigger things. You can also hang cleaning products on the outside of the basket. (Notice what we used to hang them with…..no damage to the cabinets.)
Command Hooks. So… maybe these are my favorite things ever. As you can see, we use them everywhere! We use the command hooks on the door of our foyer closet to hang up our seasonal wreaths and door decorations. This gets them off of the floor of the closet and allows us to put other things there.
Kitchen Pantry/Laundry Room
Our pantry and laundry room are one-in-the-same. Wesley added as many shelves and humanly possible to store all the things needed in such a small space. Without all the extra shelving, we would be hurting for storage space in the rest of our kitchen.
1. Pot Hangers: Our kitchen cabinet space is VERY limited. We didn’t want to waste space with pots and pans, so we got this hanging organizer and LOVE it! It literally frees up 2 whole cabinets. Plus it is a great place to store our cutting boards.
2. Again- not very many cabinets. So Wesley and I found a kitchen table that had 2 huge drawers. These drawers have been a life saver. I’m sure you already have a kitchen table, so this may be a little silly to mention…BUT if you haven’t yet, do yourself a favor and try to find one with drawers!
There is the list that has saved my sanity. Do you have any other hacks!? Please share below! I feel like I can always use some more organization in my life!!! 🙂