When I married Wesley, he had just moved into a brand new house. Being newly weds and taking on a new house meant that we had hardly any furniture and decor. We grabbed a lot through family members and those lovely wedding gift cards. However, I really struggled with trying to find the perfect decor for our guest bathroom. I had a specific color scheme of purple, gray, and mint. I could find nothhiiinnng that matched.
So what’s a girl to do? DUH! Hit up Pinterest. I did, and found this easy idea of creating your own decor. (The funny thing about this tutorial is that it almost matches my color scheme!) Click the previous link to see the original DIY directions. Because I didn’t have some of the tools needed, I kind of went a little rogue with the tutorial. I hand cut the circles and used one piece of paper to paint, so my circles would have a marbled look.
Here is my version:
- Gather whatever color paint you want to use. (I used water colors.)
- Paint your paper with your chosen colors. You can do one color per piece of paper, or use one piece of paper with multiple colors.
- Allow to dry and then see if another layer of paint is needed. (I did a few layers of paint to get the colors as dark as I wanted.)
- Once completely dry, use a large circle punch to cut out the circles. You can also trace the bottom of a circle the size you want. (I used the bottom of a paper towel roll.)
- Arrange the circles on a thick piece of paper in the design that you want and glue down. (I just cut a poster board to match the size of the frame that I had.)
- Apply modge podge over the circles to keep them flat to the paper. Let dry. **I liked how my circles looked before I modge podged them. I’m not sure if I would modge podge if I were to do it again… It made the colors run and change a little, and even though I used a matte modge podge, it still added a slight sheen.
- Place in frame. Tada! You are done!
**Please don’t judge my crooked picture. LOL **