One day at the beach last week, my mom headed up early at lunch time and made this delicious salad. It was the perfect thing to eat on a hot day. I don’t know about y’all, but when I’m hot, I don’t have a huge appetite. This salad truly was the perfect fix: it was cold and it was light. And another bonus?! It was HEALTHY! Score all the way around. The feta and olives give the salad the perfect amount of salty. The tomatoes and cucumber give it the right dose of fresh.
If you are looking for a side dish to bring to an event this summer…or are looking for a salad that works well on its own, this recipe is for you.
Check out this healthy and light salad.
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 T olive oil
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1 cucumber, peeled & diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1. Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a medium pot.
- 2. Reduce heat and simmer until quinoa has absorbed the water (about 15 min).
- 3.Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- 4. In a large bowl, mix together the cucumber, tomatoes, and olives. Add the quinoa and stir.
- 5. Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and oregano. Drizzle over the salad.
- 6. Crumble feta cheese on top and toss it all together.
- Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator.