I first had this salad at a summer party my parents threw a few years ago. One of their friends brought it and it was uhhh-mazing. Refreshing doesn’t even begin to describe it. The watermelon, mint, arugula, & feta all work so well with one another. They create a food harmony that is out of this world. It is the perfect summer salad. With Fourth of July right around the corner, you’d be the biggest hit at the cookout if you brought this salad along.
Each time we make this salad it turns out a little different- with the ingredients being called for, it is easy to just kind of fly by the seams of your pants and create something a little different each time. Sunday we are heading down to the beach and you can bet that we will have this yummo salad at some point!
(Plan to do it for the 4th? Why not grab a star shaped cookie cutter & cut the watermelon into stars?!)
Here is how to make it:
- About 8 cups of seedless watermelon, cubed
- About 6 cups baby arugula, rinsed and dried
- 1 7 ounce package of feta cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup both orange juice and lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of both pepper and salt
- 1. Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, feta, mint, and arugula. Drizzle the dressing over top the salad and toss well.
- 3. Serve immediately.
- *Each time we make this, we really just eyeball the ingredients, so taste along the way and make and changes you deem necessary.
- *Don't feel like making your own dressing? A store bought balsamic vinaigrette goes nicely with this salad.