*This post contains an affiliated link.*
This is by far the easiest thing ever! Which is great because I have become addicted to these hair ties and I feel like they’re pretty expensive to buy. You can literally make a dozen or more for what you’d pay for a set of four in stores. PLUS I have super small wrists (An annoying thing when it comes to bracelets and hair ties. But when I make my own, I can ensure a perfect fit! 😊 ) PLUS-PLUS when you make your own you can make the hair ties in whatever color you choose. Hello outfit coordination!!!
Elastic Hair tie supplIes:
1. 5/8″ Fold- Over Elastic (it has a line running down the center)
3. Lighter *adult supervision necessary*
1. Cut the elastic to the length you wish it to be. (For my small wrists, I tend to go between 7″ and 8″. If you have thick hair, you may need to make it a little longer.) It may take a few trial and errors to see where your magic length is.
2. Tie the elastic into a circle as close to the ends as possible.
3. *An adult may be needed for this step.* Take a lighter and melt the edges of the hair tie with it- this keeps it from unraveling. (You don’t touch the flame to the elastic; a close distance is enough to sear the edges.)
Wala! Hair tie complete! These are so easy- they make great gifts and stocking stuffers! I have had luck finding AMAZING patterns of fold over elastic at Hobby Lobby. Just be sure the width is 5/8″.