This crab ball recipe is nothing but the basics. Crab & cheese. How can you go wrong? It is the SIMPLEST dip and can be created in literally 5 minutes.
- 1 lb. crab meat (if you don’t have lump, backfin will work)
- 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese (I recommend Philadelphia Brand since it doesn’t become watery)
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 to 3 TBS of horseradish, depending on your taste.
- 1. Pick over the crab to be sure all the shell has been removed.
- 2. Add the crab and the cream cheese together in a bowl. This is the time to get “down and dirty”. The best way to mix it is with your hands. Mix these two ingredients until they are totally combined.
- 3. Shape into a ball and put on a serving tray or in a serving bowl.
- 1.Mix the ketchup and horseradish together to make a cocktail sauce, adding more or less horseradish, depending on your taste.
- 2.Serve the cocktail sauce in a small bowl on the side, along with crackers.
Easy peasys, mac & cheesys!
I’m telling ya… make it for your next get together. You won’t be sorry…and neither will your guests.
We live in a water town and during the summer months, fresh crab is abundant. My dad actually has his crabbing license and goes crabbing every morning. If there is anyway you can get your own crab meat fresh instead of frozen, I’d suggest doing that. Frozen crab meat will work fine (and obviously during the winter time that is all you can do). But if you are making this during the summer months and can get your hands on fresh crab meant…do it! 🙂
Another favorite appetizer is this pineapple cheese ball.